Consumerism In The News
Consumerism is the protection/promotion of interests of the consumers. In this case, the news commits many accounts of consumerism toward mass media. There are numerous ways to express consumerism through mass media, social media, internet, Television, newspaper articles, magazines, etc. For example: A 10-year-old innocent girl was electrocuted to death by a broken-down ATM machine. A local writer named Chi Mai stated, "If you bring me these new gadgets related to modern life, that's supposed to mean everything is safe. No one thought ATM machines would kill people. Suddenly you feel, 'Oh my God, this could happen to me.'" However, that is not the only situation this concept deals with. This situation involves an old male, named Harry Shearers, begging strangers for money. Shearers explains in his defense, "I was a lower-class "dropout" in the late '60s. I had to survive on the
streets much as the homeless do today. I found "entertaining" to be a
sure way to increase my chances of getting money from strangers because
it allows givers to feel they are not wasting their investment." Another situation involves a woman named Barbara Kruger being stuck in an elevator shaft of an art museum. Kruger proclaims, "I really just wanted to address certain things I normally deal with in my work." Although these stories are totally different from each other, they all represent one concept, they all capture the attention of consumers, otherwise known as consumerism.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/05/world/la-fg-vietnam-safety-20100605
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-08-26/magazine/tm-568_1_begging-mitch-snyder-man-bites-town
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/14/entertainment/gd-coverside14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFlMQAppIpg

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/05/world/la-fg-vietnam-safety-20100605
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-08-26/magazine/tm-568_1_begging-mitch-snyder-man-bites-town
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/14/entertainment/gd-coverside14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFlMQAppIpg

Wow, they really did that? Good story.
ReplyDeleteBetter believe
ReplyDeletegood article!
ReplyDelete